William C. "Chris" Gibson
Chris has been a litigator in the Seattle area since 1997 practicing in the areas of personal injury, product liability, construction defect, asbestos defense, and general liability defense. He has successfully tried product liability, personal injury, breach of contract and insurer “bad faith” cases to verdict in state courts and federal court.
Chris represents subcontractors in construction defect cases, owners in construction site accidents, businesses and individuals in defamation and personal injury/tort matters, and various entities in asbestos/mesothelioma litigation cases. He has handled and successfully resolved several Oregon construction defect and leased premises/property damage cases. Chris also practiced for six and a half years in California handling simple to very complex litigation matters.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Second chair trial counsel for defendant insurer in multi-million-dollar construction defect/covenant judgment matter in which jury found no bad faith. Insurer owed no part of covenant judgment settlement amount.
- Solo trial counsel for nationally-known work shoe manufacturer defendant in product liability, personal injury case in which plaintiff’s liability expert was excluded from testifying at trial and the jury returned a defense verdict.
- Solo trial counsel in case where property management company was sued for negligently allowing a “non-tenant” into plaintiff’s apartment where she damaged plaintiff’s personal property; defense verdict returned.
- Second chair trial counsel for defendant driver/his company in multi-million-dollar TBI lawsuit in which the plaintiff’s counsel settled with defendant on last day of defense case for an amount just above the last pre-trial offer (after lay witness testimony undermining TBI claim was presented).
- Counsel for school sued by parent in custody dispute for defamation arising out of interview of teacher by court-appointed evaluator; trial court dismissed case on summary judgment for lack of sufficient causation evidence and Court of Appeals affirmed on that ground a litigation privilege defense.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- California State Bar
- King County Bar Association
- Northwest Insurance Coverage Association
Articles & Presentations
- Co-Presenter: Moderator – “Neuropsychological Evaluations and Brain Injury Components,” with Elizabeth Ziegler, Ph.D., Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (WDTL) Annual Tort Law Update, December 6, 2013
- Co-Presenter: “Ethics – The Tripartite Relationship and Duties of Defense Counsel/Conflict Issues for Attorneys,” with Jacquelyn Beatty, Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (WDTL) Annual Insurance Law Update, April 6, 2012
- Co-Presenter: “Duty to Settle,” WDTL Annual Insurance Law Seminar, April 1, 2011
- Presenter: “Responsibility to a ‘Phantom AI’,” 2010 Insurance Law Coverage Update, Forsberg & Umlauf seminar, November 4, 2010
- Presenter/Moderator: “Defending the Annoying Tactics from the Other Side,” WDTL Annual Insurance Law Update, April 8, 2009