Stephen M. Raab
Stephen's practice focuses on insurance coverage, bad faith, and insurance defense matters. Stephen is a skilled litigator who has successfully represented clients in a variety of cases, including disputes concerning insurance coverage, bad faith, premises liability, product liability, financial transactions, contracts, class actions, and automobile accidents.
Stephen provides coverage advice on complex claims to insurance carriers on both first-party and third-party matters.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Represented an insurer against claims that the insurer wrongfully denied defense and indemnity to the insured company. The court granted the insurer’s motion for summary judgment, holding that the policy excluded coverage for the underlying claims.
- Represented an insurer against a claim that it owed indemnity for a large arbitration award resulting from the insured’s failure to deliver functional software. The court granted the insurer’s motion for summary judgment, holding that the award was excluded from coverage under the policy.
- Represented a leading North American retailer in a lawsuit seeking hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages allegedly resulting from an incident on the premises of the retailer. The retailer was awarded summary judgment on the basis that there was no evidence of negligence.
- Represented a life insurance company in multimillion-dollar litigations against investors.
- Defended a company specializing in medical implants against product liability and negligence claims.
- Represented financial institutions in litigation with investors.
- Defended a large manufacturer against a nationwide class action concerning alleged product defects.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Oregon State Bar
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Editor, Insurance Litigation Reporter