Ryan J. Hesselgesser
Ryan’s practice focuses on insurance coverage, alleged bad faith litigation and providing general advice to insurers concerning coverage disputes in Washington and Oregon. He has handled cases involving both first and third-party claims and has advised clients regarding coverages under a wide spectrum of insurance policies, including Commercial General Liability, Homeowners’, Director’s & Officers Liability, Environmental Liability, Technology, Professional Liability, Commercial Excess, Maritime and Automobile Policies.
Ryan regularly provides advice and conducts presentations on Washington insurance claims including alleged bad faith issues. He has significant experience with IFCA claims and Stipulated (Covenant) Judgments in Washington. He has extensive experience assisting insurance clients in navigating coverage issues on construction defect and commercial liability claims.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- 2015-2019 Recognized
as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine
- Obtained summary judgment for client on bad faith and IFCA claims involving underlying construction defect defense obligation.
- Successfully defended four day reasonableness hearing involving covenant judgment against insurer client and obtained ruling that settlement was unreasonable.
- Successfully mediated numerous cases for insurers and avoided significant bad faith litigation on behalf of insurer clients.
- Obtained favorable resolution for insurer with stipulation of no coverage from insured and client responsible for paying only approximately 2.5% of total defense costs incurred in defense of underlying wrongful death case.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Board of Directors for South Highline National Little League
Articles & Presentations
- CLE Presentation for CLM Webinar Series: “Construction Claims – Case Law and Statutory Updates” (2016)
- Presenter: “Key Concepts in WA & OR insurance Law” (2017)
- Presenter: “Aftermath of Xia In Washington” (2018)