Patrick C. Sheldon
With over 40 years of practice, Patrick’s current trial practice emphasizes representations of professionals in the health and legal fields in civil matters and disciplinary matters.
He represents doctors, lawyers, chiropractors, hospitals, nurses and naturopaths. He has handled hundreds of negligence and disciplinary matters for professionals. Patrick also has trial experience in products liability, premises liability, consumer protection, construction defect and surety matters. Patrick is a former legislative assistant to the Hon. Warren G. Magnuson. He also served as a member of the Washington State Bar Association’s Disciplinary Board.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in March 2013. This honor is extended by invitation only to those experienced trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility and collegiality.
- Admitted as an Associate of the American Board of Trial Advocates in 2005. This honor is awarded to lawyers who have demonstrated ongoing skill, integrity and advocacy in jury trials.
- “AV Preeminent” rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating obtainable by members of the legal community.
- Selected Best Lawyers in America 2016 in Best Lawyers.
- Recognized as a “Super Lawyer” in 2010-2019 by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Selected by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell as “Top Rated Lawyer” in Health Care for 2013-2015.
- Recognized as “Super Lawyer” 2003, 2005-2006 and 2008-2018 by Washington Law & Politics magazine.
- Represented a pediatrician and his insurance company in a products liability and Consumer Protection Act matter resulting in a $3 million dollar trial verdict and significant award of attorneys’ fees and discovery sanctions against defendant in a 6-week jury trial. Plaintiffs’ verdict (WSPIE v. Fisons).
- Represented two psychiatrists in a matter claiming Tardive’s Dyskinesia Movement Disorder allegedly resulting from medication error in a 3-4 week jury trial. Defense verdict.
- Represented an anesthesiologist in a multi-party newborn infant case with alleged serious brain injury due to alleged mis-intubation during resuscitation in a 6-week jury trial. Defense verdict.
- Represented a pediatrician in a newborn infant case alleging serious brain injury due to a failure to treat neonatal hypoglycemia in a 4-week jury trial. Defense verdict.
- Represented a hospital in a newborn infant case alleging serious brain injury due to failure to recognize respiratory distress in a 5-week jury trial. Defense verdict.
- Represented a family practice physician in a case alleging failure to diagnose colo-rectal cancer in a 3-4 week jury trial. Defense verdict.
- Represented a urologist in a case alleging complications in genital repair surgery in a 2-week jury trial. Defense verdict.
- Represented an OB/GYN and maternal fetal medicine specialist in a matter alleging “wrongful life” from misinterpretation of gestational genetic testing in a 3-4 week jury trial. Defense verdict.
- Represented a psychiatrist in a Medical Quality Assurance Commission hearing alleging inappropriate verbal contact with a minor and his mother. Charges dismissed.
- Represented an applicant for the Washington State Bar Association Bar Examination in a Character and Fitness matter. Candidate was permitted to take examination.
- Represented a chiropractor in a matter alleging spinal adjustment resulted in multiple-level disc herniations in a 2-week jury trial. Defense verdict.
- Represented a Health Maintenance Organization in a case alleging a failure to diagnose prostate cancer in a 2-week jury trial. Defense verdict.
- Represented an oral surgeon in arbitration resulting in directed verdict of dismissal.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Associate Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Fellow of The American College of Trial Lawyers
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Phi Beta Kappa