Natalie A. Heineman
Natalie's civil litigation practice focuses on the defense of licensed professionals and organizations including physicians, nursing homes, attorneys, as well as operators and owners of commercial and passenger vehicles. She also defends retailers in premises liability cases.
Natalie also investigates and defends catastrophic injury and wrongful death claims, including accident reconstruction and regulatory compliance matters. Natalie has tried six cases to verdict in the past five years.
Natalie previously practiced medical malpractice defense in Boston, Massachusetts before relocating to Seattle in 2015.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Super Lawyers – Washington “Rising Star” 2017; Massachusetts “Rising Star” 2014, 2015
- Suffolk University Law School Mock Trial Competition - 1st Place 2007
- Clerk to the Hon. Rosalind Miller, Dorchester District Court, 2005
- Six medical negligence jury trials to verdict in King, Snohomish, and Thurston County over the past five years.
- Three medical negligence jury trials to verdict in Suffolk and Middlesex Counties in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Summary judgment dismissal of apparent agency theory of liability against ambulatory surgery center for alleged negligence of neurosurgeon operating off site.
- Summary judgment dismissal of Consumer Protection Act claims asserted against numerous health care providers and/or facilities.
- Early resolution of pharmacy cases involving in alleged death or permanent injuries resulting from medication errors.
- Accident site investigation and reconstruction in multiple vehicle fatalities within 24-48 hours of accident.
- Defend oral surgeons, naturopaths, internists, nurses, etc. in Department of Health disciplinary matters.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) – Nursing Home Subcommittee
- Washington Health Care Risk Management Society
- KCBA Judicial Survey Committee
Articles & Presentations
- Presenter: "E-Discovery 101: An Overview of Washington Case Law"
- Presenter: “Nursing Home Litigation Defense in Washington State: Current Case Law and Defense Strategies”
- Presenter: “Wrongful Death Law in Washington State after 2019 Enactment of Senate Bill 5163”
- Presenter: Challenging Harris v. Drake: Key Cases and Strategies for the Defense
- Presenter: CLE Seminar “Causation: Recent Developments and Considerations for Challenging Plaintiffs Experts”, 2016
- Presenter: “Covenant Judgements in Washington State”, 2016
- Author: “Negligent Credentialing in Massachusetts: Implications of Rabelo v. Nasif,” Massachusetts Medical Society Journal, 2014
- Author: “Computer Software Derivative Works,” 8 J. High Tech. L. 235, 2008