Michael D. Handler
Michael D. Handler provides expert guidance to insurance companies on first and third party insurance coverage analysis, as well as the defense of alleged bad faith in Washington, Oregon, and elsewhere around the country.
Michael’s skilled analysis and pro-active consultation helps his clients to advance, and when necessary to successfully litigate, their positions on high-stakes first party and third party insurance claims and complex risks.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Northwest Insurance Coverage Association: Co-Chair and Chair, 2008 & 2009
- Super Lawyers – Rising Star 2008
- VoiceStream Wireless Corp. v. Federal Ins. Co., 112 F.App’x 553 (9th Cir. 2004 Washington Law).
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s, London v. Mass. Bonding & Ins. Co., 235 Or App 99, 230 P3d 103 (2010).
- Westchester Surplus Lines Insurance Company v. Keller Transport, Inc., 2016 MT 6.
- Other unreported cases available upon request.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- PLUS Northwest Chapter, Continuing Education Chair
- Northwest Insurance Coverage Association (Co-Chair and Chair, 2008 & 2009)
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
Articles & Presentations
- CLM Extracontractual Committee Annual Mini-Conferences: Presentations 2014, 2015 & 2017
- Forum on Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues: 2013 & 2016 Annual Conference Presentations
- PLUS Northwest Chapter: 2016-2019 Annual Presentations on “Cyber Liability”
- Professional Liability Defense Federation: 2017 & 2019 Annual Meeting Presentations (PLDF Quarterly, Semi-Annual Columns on Insurance Coverage)
- 2013-2018 Annual In-House Insurer Trainings