Jeffrey T. Kestle
Jeff's primary practice focuses on the defense of professional liability claims.
Jeff has defended clients in a broad range of other claims as well, including personal injury, product liability, toxic torts and premises liability. Prior to beginning his law practice, he served as a judicial extern to a federal appellate court judge in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Recognized by Washington State Bar Association’s “Random Acts of Professionalism” Program
Legal Malpractice Cases
- Obtained a Washington Supreme Court ruling in favor of our attorney client. The Supreme Court ruled that the attorney’s court approved withdrawal from an underlying lawsuit precluded the former clients’ legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty claims based on the withdrawal.
- Jury verdict in favor of attorney client in fee dispute with former clients and defense verdicts on counterclaims.
- Defense verdict in bankruptcy adversary trial against attorney who acted as deed of trust trustee.
- Summary judgment dismissal of fraudulent inducement, negligent misrepresentation, and legal malpractice claims of client against litigation attorneys based on res judicata effect of prior fee arbitration award and California statute of limitation. Dismissal affirmed on appeal.
- Summary judgment dismissal of legal malpractice and Consumer Protection Act claims brought by parents of son who misrepresented his identity to attorney based on lack of duty. Dismissal affirmed on appeal.
- Summary judgment dismissal of fraud, negligent misrepresentation, securities act violation claims against attorney for one party to business transaction based on statute of limitations. Dismissal affirmed on appeal.
- Summary judgment dismissal of conversion claim brought by husband against wife’s divorce attorney based on “agent’s immunity rule”.
- Summary judgment dismissal of legal malpractice claim brought by criminal defense attorney’s former client based on lack of proof of actual innocence.
- Summary judgment dismissal of legal malpractice claim brought by bankruptcy attorneys’ former clients based on res judicata effect of bankruptcy court’s order affirming attorneys’ fee petition.
- Representation of joint compound manufacturer in multimillion dollar asbestos exposure case, obtained a dismissal for client after filing motion for summary judgment.
- Representation of regional sporting goods retailer in case brought by customer who was beaten by other customers, obtained summary judgment dismissal.
- Representation of driver who backed into other driver in personal injury jury trial, obtained defense verdict.
- Representation of a national property management firm in case brought by a plaintiff who was seriously injured in a slip and fall, obtained summary judgment dismissal.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Volunteer at King County Bar Association Neighborhood Legal Clinic
Articles & Presentations
- Presenter: “Ethics Issues in Immigration Law,” AILA-WA Annual Half-Day Ethics CLE, December 2016
- Presenter: “Ethics/Risk Management” CLE, Seattle Law Firm, November 2016
- Presenter: “Legal Malpractice Ethical Considerations, Concerns and Trends,” New York and New Jersey, CLE, December 2015
- Presenter: “Ethical Dilemmas from Client Intake Through Conclusion,” Forsberg & Umlauf In-House CLE, December 2015
- Presenter: “Ethics, Insurance and Professional Liability,” Daniels-Head Insurance Agency/Forsberg & Umlauf CLE, November 2015
- Presenter: “Family Law Hot Topics 2015 – Ethics: Typical Malpractice Traps for the Family Law Attorney,” KCBA, October 2015
- Presenter: “Annual Tort Law Update – Ethics Update: Rules, Trends, and Best Practices,” WDTL, December 2014
- Presenter: “Illustrated Ethics: Studies to Avoid Legal Malpractice,” NBI, December 2013
- Presenter: “Personal Injury Cases: Calculating and Proving Damages,” National Business Institute (NBI), 2007
- Co-Author: “Nursing Home Litigation: What Elder Law Attorneys Need to Know,” for King County Bar Association CLE “Advanced Issues in Elder Law: Looking for Wisdom in All the Right Places,” 2006