Charles A. Henty
Charlie litigates and advises clients regarding coverage disputes arising out of first and third-party claims. His experience ranges from representing insurers in multi-party disputes in environmental and mass tort insurance coverage to providing advice in disputes with individual insureds under homeowners and automobile policies.
Charlie has co-authored chapters of the LexisNexis Practice Guide: Washington Insurance Litigation regarding property insurance and the rescission of insurance policies based on misrepresentations made by the policyholder in obtaining a policy.
In 2017, Charlie spent an extended period of time on secondment with a London Market Insurance Company in which he worked directly with leading claims personnel in the handling of asbestos, environmental, and health hazard claims for assureds throughout the United States
Practice Emphasis & Experience
- Represented insurers who issued policies with combined liability limits in excess of $50 million in multiparty contribution lawsuit regarding potential coverage for over 1,000 toxic tort claims and environmental claims arising out of polluted sites across the country. A seven week jury trial resulted in a partial defense verdict, with the jury concluding that the pollution exclusions in various policies precluded coverage for the environmental claims.
- Obtained very favorable settlement in dispute involving parallel lawsuits in two states regarding insurance coverage for insured’s alleged liability (claimed to be in excess of $100 million) at several polluted sites around the country.
- Represented insurers who issued policies with combined liability limits in excess of $100 million in a lawsuit regarding a nine figure pollution liability at the Portland Harbor Superfund Site and several other environmental sites.
- Represented insurer in lawsuit regarding potential coverage for wrongful death claim; obtained summary judgment dismissal based on policy exclusion for liability arising out of injury caused by intentional acts of the policyholder.
- Represented insurance carrier in dispute regarding UIM coverage, obtained favorable result in arbitration.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
Articles & Presentations
- Co-author: Chapter of the LexisNexis Practice Guide: Washington Insurance Litigation regarding the rescission of insurance policies based on misrepresentations made by the policyholder in obtaining a policy; “The Insurance Application and the Insurer’s Remedies for Misrepresentation,” November 2014